Sunday, December 14, 2008

How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff

Here is the book on Amazon.

How I Live Now may be the book I'm the most excited about right now. In my mind, it's brilliant. Meg Rosoff has found a way to weave together many common themes of adolescent novels into a new and fascinating way.

I would love to teach this book because I feel like it's applicable to an adolescent audience and an adult audience, as well. This book has the potential to be used on an interdisciplinary level, and can be applied to social studies and English alike.

The book centers around a 15-year-old woman named Daisy who lives in England with her aunt. Modern day London is in war and Daisy is quickly swept along with her cousins on a series of adventures and will eventually changer he life drastically.

Daisy begins the book as a rather self-absorbed woman and as the story continues she begins to change. Now I won't tell you if she changes for the better, that's for you to find out, but I will say that the books is incredibly powerful and creates a sense of depth that is somehow contained in only 224 pages.

I think this book is great and it will definitely be part of my classroom library.

No comments: