Monday, December 15, 2008

Breathing Underwater by

Here is the book on Amazon.

This book was defiantly intense. Told from the point of view of an abusive boyfriend in a teenage romance, it was at times difficult to read. Nick and Caitlin seemed like a perfect couple until an altercation brings the truth forward in a quick and devastating way. A restraining order is brought against Nick by Caitlin's family and as the story progresses we can see how the two got to this point.

Nick is an angry young man, but throughout the text he is often unaware of the psychology behind his actions. The reader can see it, but Nick remains unphased for a while. As a reader, I found this frustrating at points, but as an educator I tried to see the greater good in the text. I think it's an excellent story and I think it could really be used as a teaching tool.

In an English classroom I would love to use this as an example of the power of point of view. If this story was told by from the point of view of Caitlin I think the impact would be different. I don't think it would have provided me with as much unique insight. If students can see that and discuss those implications, then I think it's great.

I also think this book would be really good for small book groups. It has a lot of heady issues and I would need to pick my groups carefully, but I think students could generate some great discussion.

This book would also be an excellent pick for a health classroom. Breathing Underwater handles domestic abuse by taking an interesting approach and may help some students cope with demons in their own lives. It is common knowledge that relationships in high school are often less than healthy and this book would be a good way to broach that subject.

1 comment:

ClarissaGrace said...

she's a new author for me. But a few of you read things by her, so, now I am curious to check her out.